Sunday, September 11, 2011

09/11/2001-09/11/2011

It is really hard to believe that it has been 10 years since the terrorist attacks on the US.  I bet if you ask anyone, they can tell you exactly what they were doing on Tuesday, 9/11/01.  


I was in the first semester of my senior year at the University of Arkansas.  I had decided to skip my exercise physiology class for the day and head into Tulsa to go shopping with a couple of friends.  I had just gotten out of the shower when I looked in the living room and my roommate was staring open-mouthed at the television.  I asked her what was going on, and she said "You have to come in here and watch this, a plane just hit one of the world trade center towers in New York City".  I sat with her watching the news while the broadcasters were trying to figure out what was going on, and then we saw the second plane hit the other tower.  I remember being shocked and didn't know what to think or to do.  I called my mom, because she worked for the government at the time, and she said the federal building (where she worked) was receiving threats, and that she was going home.  I remember feeling overwhelmingly sad, and I didn't go to any of my classes for the day.  I didn't go to Tulsa either.  I went and bought gas for my car because the news said we were likely to have a shortage, and got to the gas station before they started price gouging.  I'll never forget anything about that day as long as I live.  I had never even been to New York at that point in my life; my first trip was 6 months later in March of 2002.  


A friend of mine said today that 9/11 is our generation's Pearl Harbor.  I think she is right.  If you were to speak to anyone of the WWII era, they would say their world changed completely on December 7, 1941.  The same is true for us.  There isn't anyone whose world wasn't altered by the attack.  The thousands of lives lost both in the towers, the Pentagon, and in a Pennsylvania field were staggering.  The wars we are still fighting have taken a tremendous toll on so many.  Had the terrorists not attacked us, my brother and thousands of armed forces members might still be alive.  The day is a bitter reminder to the many who have lost loved ones either directly or indirectly from the attacks 10 years ago.  


I hope everyone remembered today with a moment of silence for all of the life needlessly lost 10 years ago.  Never forget the sacrifice of the brave.  God Bless the NYPD, FDNY, and all of our Armed Forces.


Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment