Wednesday, April 13, 2011

What's new with me & Savory Cream of Potato & Leek Soup

Lately, I've been wanting to make something using Leeks.  I would see them in the produce section of the grocery store and want to make something, but I hadn't ever worked with them, and didn't really know what to cook with them.  I had heard of potato and leek soup, and I looked into a few recipes, but none of them really had what I was looking for, so I improvised and came up with my own.  It's absolutely delicious!  I'll include it later.  You're welcome.

I've been working so much since getting back from our vacation.  I guess I should back-track.  I have 2 jobs.  I work at the Melting Pot (a fondue restaurant that will further be known as MP).  I've been there since October of 2007.  I also work in a Periodontist's office.  I was offered this job after waiting on the Dr. and his family one night in December of 2008 at the MP.

A couple of weeks ago, one of the girls that works at Dr. Scharf's office decided it wasn't for her, and now I'm being a band-aid covering a lot of shifts until DRS hires someone new.  I don't like working full time; namely because early mornings give me a toxic unpleasant personality.  I generally am not fit for being awake putting up with others until at least noon.  I know it won't last forever, and the extra money is nice; however, my house is a mess and there is laundry piled up everywhere.  I don't think it's a good thing when we're washing clothes to wear the same day because there aren't any other options.  I'm just saying.  I also guess I shouldn't complain about too much work.  I'm fortunate to have 2 jobs when others can't find even one, but this is MY blog, and I'll say what  I think.

All of this work has also cut into my cooking, which really bothers me.  I LOVE cooking, and lately, haven't had any nights off to get to hang out in my kitchen and be creative.  I had t throw our some veggies I bought the other day because they spoiled before I had a chance to cook them.  This does not make me a happy camper.  I don't want to waste money or food!

Wednesday night is usually a night I work at the MP, but I asked management last night if they would call me today if it was going to be a slow night and let me know if I could have the night off.  They called me today at about 1:00 and, I gotta tell you, I was thrilled!!! I love working at the MP, but working so much at the office lately has made for a very tired Kelli.  I also wanted to cook, and since it was pretty rainy and gross tonight, I decided to make some soup.  Cream of potato soup is one of my very favorite soups ever, and as I mentioned above, I had been wanting to cook with leeks, so viola! Savory cream of potato soup with leeks and bacon came to fruition!!  I hope you'll enjoy the recipe as much as I did.
Oh, I recommend purchasing an immersion blender for the kitchen (apparently, if you fill a regular blender too full, the lid pops off and makes a HUGE mess).  I now have one on my wish list.  The hubby will get a note about my want for a new gadget.  

Savory Cream of Potato soup with Leeks and Bacon

3-4 medium leeks, dark green parts removed and cleaned well to get rid of sand
1 lb bacon, chopped into 1 inch pieces
3-4 large potatoes, diced or 10-12 small red potatoes, also diced
2 cups heavy cream
4 cups chicken stock
1-1.5 cups sour cream, according to taste
3 Tbsp butter
kosher salt
white pepper

slice leeks in half lengthwise, then slice about 1/4 inch thick.



 in a 6qt stock pot on med-hi, add the 3T. butter and melt.  add half of the bacon. put the remaining half pound of bacon in a skillet and cook until crisp set aside and use as topping on the soup.  once the bacon is about half done in the stock pot, add the leeks and cook for about 15 minutes.



 add the potatoes and a generous pinch of kosher salt.  add the chicken stock and bring pot to a boil.  Lower heat to medium and boil for about 15 minutes, until potatoes are cooked through.  At this point, either get your immersion blender and puree the soup, or get your blender and puree the soup (half at a time if you don't want to clean up a mess).  once pureed, pour the soup back into the stock pot.  in a measuring cup, add the 2c. of heavy cream and the sour cream.  mix in the measuring cup with a whisk until smooth.
Add the heavy cream mixture to the stock pot and stir well over med heat.  add the ground white pepper, to taste.  Once the soup is thoroughly heated,  ladle some into your bowl top with the crispy cooked bacon and some sharp cheddar cheese and Enjoy!!!!


Cheers,
Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment