Thursday, June 2, 2011

This and that

This week has had me all messed up, since we were all off work on Monday for Memorial Day.  Today feels like Wednesday, but it's Thursday! I've been getting everything cleared up with the theft from last week.  I love hanging out at the DMV and bank going through each and every transaction I've made.  Grrrrrr.

Tonight, instead of going to Thursdays at the Cake (gasp!!) I decided to make dinner at home.  I had some very large boneless, skinless chicken breasts already, and also had some kiwi in the house so I decided to make grilled mojo marinated chicken breasts with kiwi & shallot salsa, fresh steamed green beans and fresh corn on the cob.  It turned out SOOOO well! I am most definitely making this again!  Here are a few pictures.







Hey! Stop licking your monitor, you're gonna break it, and that's just gross!  Hahaha, just kidding.

You can make a mojo marinade yourself, but the Goya brand one is so good and so inexpensive, and also has only 1 gram of sugar, so it's great if you're watching your sugar intake.  So many store-bought marinades are loaded with high fructose corn syrup that it's refreshing to find one that is really good and good for you as well!

For the kiwi shallot salsa, all i did was dice 1 shallot, 2 medium peeled kiwis, and about 5 large grape tomatoes.  Then I added a citrus sea salt and mixed it all up with my hands.  It's really tasty and adds great texture and freshness to the chicken.

I love that summertime means corn on the cob.  It is a quintessential summer veggie staple!  It's sweet and juicy and crisp, and so delicious when topped with a little butter and salt. I never overcook the corn, I bring water to a boil on the stove, then add the corn and cook for 3-5 minutes, until just hot throughout.  I HATE when corn gets overcooked and "wrinkled" and mushy. Yuck!

Green beans are always a favorite here.  I just rinse them off and put them in my steam pan and season them with garlic, salt, and pepper and cook until tender. I usually add a little butter also, because everything is better with butter!

I am thinking about grilling a banana for dessert and topping it with just about a teaspoon of brown sugar.  I've had it before and it's a yummy alternative to a calorie-laden dessert and just as satisfying.


In news of the fundraising dinner, we're rounding up more items to raffle. Wal mart donated a $50 gift card for us to raffle off today, so that was nice.  Things are really shaping up for this to be a successful fundraiser! I am so glad.

I hope you all have a fabulous weekend!

Cheers,
Kelli

1 comment:

  1. Awesome dinner and great news about the Wal-Mart donation!! Woo-Hoo!!

    ReplyDelete